ACE's four Fitness certifications offer fitness professionals a broad range of career
choices. Read each of the descriptions to help you decide which one best suits
your background, professional interests and career plans.
Which certification is right for me?
ACE currently offers four fitness certifications:
Am I eligible for fitness certification?
The following eligibility requirements have been adopted for our
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must hold current adult CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
certification and it must be current at the time of the exam. (Attend the Heartsaver
First Aid with CPR and AED Training Course or view a list of
accepted CPR certifications.)
- Although it is not required, candidates for the Personal Trainer and Group
Fitness Instructor certifications are strongly encouraged to have a minimum
level (approximately 100 hours) of practical experience in the health and
- In order to take the Lifestyle & Weight Management Consultant
Certification exam, you must hold a current ACE Personal Trainer, Group
Fitness Instructor or Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification, or
- In order to take the Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification Exam, you
must have 300 hours of work experience designing and implementing exercise
programs for apparently healthy individuals and/or high-risk individuals, as
documented by a qualified professional. You must also have a four-year
(bachelor's) degree in an exercise science or related field OR a current ACE
Personal Trainer Certification or other approved certification (ACSM, NSCA,